Here you will find the most recent resources that have been added to the OpenMed System:
- 30-60 minsThis comprehensive report presents findings and recommendations for all patients discharged with a diagnosis of heart failure between 2011 and 2012 in England and Wales. Aimed primarily at clinicians and healthcare providers, it gives a good overview of heart failure services, treatment and mortality.
- 10-30 minsA good overview article from NHS Direct which covers all biopsychosocial aspects of heart failure. A valuable resource for patients, students and specialist doctors when considering the diagnosis and further management of heart failure.
- 10-30 minsA summary of heart failure looking at all areas from symptoms and investigation to diagnosis and management. This information is primarily for patients, however it should also be of value to students.
- 10-30 minsProduced by clinicians for UpToDate, this resource is a good introduction to all aspects of heart failure. Although intended as a patient information resource it should also prove valuable for all students studying the field of cardiology. The page also contains many useful links to other related topics to aid with understanding of the area.
- 30-60 minsThe following topics are presented: Drug eruptions Erythema multiforme Toxic epidermal necrolysis Erythroderma Neutrophilic dermatoses Urticaria Blistering skin diseases Concisely written, with good but small clinical photos. The educational activities are tagged on as an afterthought.... read more
- 10-30 minsRequires free login. 25 slides which mainly cover rashes of infectious aetiology.
- 10-30 minsRequires free login. Covers the main emergencies in dermatology simply. The photos used are not of great quality. Links at the end to more in depth articles of illustrated conditions on emedicine website.
- 10-30 minsRequires a free login. 32 slides with pretty good quality photos of skin eruptions secondary to drugs. 2 slides for each eruption with the first slide describing usually seen features and causative drugs and the second telling the diagnosis and prognosis. So although there are no self-assessment questions as such, one could test oneself by di... read more
- 30-60 mins
Thrombolysis in very elderly people: controlled comparison of SITS international stroke thrombolysis registry and virtual international stroke trials archiveThis BMJ learning tool aims to teach doctors to recognise the magnitude of the effectiveness of thrombolysis with alteplase among patients aged >80 with acute ischaemic stroke and to appraise the effect of thrombolysis with alteplase on mortality according to patient’s age. It provides a link to the original research paper in the British Medic... read more
- 30-60 minsRequires free registration and login. This module aims to teach how to make an intial diagnosis in patients presenting with symptoms of a stroke, talks about the indications for urgent imaging, and how to assess the severity of stroke using the modified Rankin scale. There are case scenarios at the end with self-assessment. The majority of this m... read more
- 30-60 minsThis module (includes some self assessment and example videos) aims to help develop an understanding of the different symptoms and signs seen in stroke, classify the type of stroke using the Oxford Stroke classification system, relate the clinical diagnosis to the likely anatomical lesion and pathology and understand the importance of the clinical classification in estimating prognosis.
- 10-30 minsThis is one of the freely available modules provided by BMJ learning. Requires registration which is free. There are loads more modules which are probably more useful, but require login via your institution/BMA membership/or if in a developing country the HINARI initiative. See learning.bmj.com. Links to a BMJ article on a random... read more
- 30-60 minsThis is one of several free modules provided by BMJ learning. It requires registration and login which is free. Information and practical advice on prescribing isotretinoin are presented in fully referenced text and then tested with 10 MCQs. It's not a subject that everyone needs to know about, but is useful for those referring patients for ... read more
collectionLonger than 4 hoursA range of modules in social care covering topics like: Adult safeguarding A resource looking at what adult safeguarding means and considering how safeguarding is everyone's responsibility. (2013) Sexual, reproductive and mental health Looks at the key aspects of sexual and reproductive health in the context of m... read more